The Admissions Process
Thank you for your interest in Starting Point Montessori.
At Starting Point Montessori we encourage parents of prospective enrollees to tour our facility, see our classes, and ask questions to see if our school would be a good fit for their family. We hope that parents of our children have an understanding of and support for the Montessori Method employed here at Starting Point Montessori.
The admissions process, complete with school visits, allows families to see the Montessori Method in action, learn about our school, and observe the love for learning exemplified by our children.
We seek students who will thrive in our mixed-age environment that offers freedom of choice within limits and supports the development of autonomy, intellectual curiosity, and personal and social responsibility. Our school provides Montessori classrooms for toddlers and preprimary students. Families are expected to work with the school in a spirit of collaboration that will support their child and the school’s mission.
Steps to Enroll
1. Tour – The first step in enrollment is to take a tour of our school. Tours are offered every weekday and are typically scheduled at 10:00 a.m. Tours give prospective families an opportunity to see our facility, briefly observe classes in session, and ask any questions they may have about the school and/or the Montessori environment. Our director typically gives the tours and is able to provide detailed information about what makes Starting Point Montessori unique as well as information about our wonderful staff and the use of Montessori Method. The tour also allows us to better understand each family’s expectations and needs so that we may better serve that family.
2. Application – If parents would like to move forward after the tour, we ask that they complete an enrollment application. Additionally, we request a transcript for all transfer students who are four years or older.
3. Interview with Teacher – The teacher and administration then decide whether or not Starting Point Montessori would be a good fit for the child and make an acceptance decision. Acceptance to the school is based on several factors such as readiness of the child for the Montessori environment and the family’s support for the methods and philosophy used by the school.
4. Acceptance – Once the acceptance decision is made, parents complete the registration form and pay a registration fee of $100 to hold the child’s spot in the class. The registration fee is non-refundable and non-transferrable. The teacher and administration then decide whether or not Starting Point Montessori would be a good fit for the child and make an acceptance decision. Acceptance to the school is based on several factors such as readiness of the child for the Montessori environment and the family’s support for the methods and philosophy used by the school.
5. Final Paperwork – After acceptance to the school is extended, parents complete the registration form and pay a registration fee of $100 to hold the child’s place in the class. The registration fee is non-refundable and non-transferrable. An enrollment packet with additional paperwork required by the State of Michigan is given to the family to complete. Families will also receive a handbook outlining the policies and procedures of Starting Point Montessori at this time. Once the forms have been completed and turned in to the main office staff, an agreeable start date by the parent and administration is established for the child. The enrollment process is then complete. Please note that an annual student supply list is included in the enrollment packet with other forms. These items/forms must be in before the child’s first day of school.
We Appreciate Your Interest in Starting Point Montessori!
We invite families from the surrounding metropolitan Detroit areas to tour our facility to see if Starting Point Montessori would be a good fit for your family! Starting Point Montessori provides an inclusive environment, welcoming children regardless of race, gender, color, religion, or national origin. A child may be admitted to Starting Point Montessori at any time of the year due to the individualized nature of the Montessori curriculum. We hope to see you soon and look forward to welcoming your family into our loving and nurturing learning environment